Wednesday 15 August 2012

Shark Week

I've loved shark week ever since I was a kid. I remember sitting in our dark, cool basement watching show after show with my brother. Fast forward a few years and not a whole lot has changed- except now I watch it with Eric in our boiling hot condo.
Source: National Geographic

Last night we watched Human Shark Bait where they tested myths of what attracts sharks to humans. Here's what we learned:
  • The color yellow and shiny objects attract them. Even though sharks are believed to be color blind, they think the sharks can see contrast of the yellow with blue water (it's similar to the contrast of black and white).
  • Sharks are drawn to splashing and rapid movement
  • Urine, surprisingly, doesn't attract them at all (unless it's super yellow, I suppose)
So basically, if you're wearing a shiny yellow bathing suit and you see a shark, splashing and flailing around won't help you- but feel free to pee your pants :)

No comments:

Post a Comment