Wednesday 14 November 2012

Homemade Holiday Gifts- Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows

I've decided not to do a ton of Christmas baking this year. Honestly, I think my sister probably baked as much as I did last Christmas and there were too many treats. It turns out that's actually possible. Who knew?!
However, that isn't keeping me from making yummy homemade gifts. Every Wednesday for the next month or so, I'll have a DIY holiday project. They're easy, delicious, and perfect for last minute gifting. First up: hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows.


I used Smitten Kitchen's marshmallow recipe and it turned out even better than I had hoped. It was surprisingly simple and mess free. Warning: after tasting these marshmallows, you're likely to become a complete marshmallow elitist.




Hot Chocolate Mix
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 c. plus two tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Mix ingredients in a resealable container. This should make enough to fill just over half a mason jar leaving you with enough room to put marshmallows on top.
To serve, mix 2 tbsp. of powder with 1 cup of warm milk (or half water and half milk).



Option: include a mini bottle of Bailey's as an extra treat. You don't have to, but it would be cooler if you did. :)

In case you're interested, here are last year's Christmas baking posts:
Nuts and Bolts
Magic Cookie Bars
Gingersnaps
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Lemon Squares



No comments:

Post a Comment