Tuesday 9 September 2014

Sausage and Corn Chowder

This is me, sitting on a patio in Canmore on Sunday- with no jacket.



This is my front yard as of this morning.

What the?! I know that this freak snowfall isn't going to last, but it didn't stop me from craving some fall comfort food.


With a fridge stocked with fresh veggies from my father-in-law's garden and freezer overflowing with deer sausage from brother, soup seemed like the perfect meal.

Sausage and Corn Chowder

1/2 lb sausage, removed from casing
5 medium potatoes
1/2 cup carrots
1 stalk celery
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 cups frozen or canned corn
2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 c. Milk
Salt
Pepper
Cornstarch*

In a pot on medium high heat, cook sausage. Depending on the fat content, you may want to drain afterwards. If it's not overly fatty, add a bit of oil to the pot and add carrots, celery, onions, garlic and corn. Cook until onions are translucent. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Add milk and sausage and allow to simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

*This didn't thicken up as I had planned (I'm assuming it's because I used skim milk) so I took a bit of broth out and whisked in about 3 tbsp. of cornstarch. Once I added it back into the soup and allowed it to simmer, it thickened up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment